About The Department
Jagannath Borooah College is the second college as well as the first Government-aided College of Assam. It was established on the 10th October 1930 with the introduction of six subjects including Logic. Late Prafulla Pran Changkakati ,the HoD. of Philosophy was one of the founder teachers of J.B.College.
By virtue of a renowned teacher he was deputed to Calcutta University for affiliation of the college under Calcutta University and in due course Calcutta University extended affiliation to J.B.College in 1931. Logic was one of the subjects in the list of affiliation.
However the affiliation was only up to the Intermediate Level. In 1941 the College obtained affiliation up to the degree level. The Department of Philosophy was raised to the degree level under the bold and able leadership of its founder HoD., Late Prafulla Pran Changkakati.
After Prof. Changkakati Philosophy Department had the opportunity to be led by Late Krishna Ch. Kakati from 1950 to1974. In 1954 with the remarkable effort of Prof. K.C.Kakati the Department started its Honours course under Gauhati University. After the establishment of Dibrugarh University J.B.College was reaffiliated to this University.
When Prof. K.C.Kakati became the Principal of the college in 1974 the Department got the leadership of Prof.(Late) Kalipada Chakrovarty. His able leadership had prevailed in the department for 8 years before he became the Principal(in-charge)of the collegein1982.
In 1982 Prof. Prabhat Ch. Mahanta took the charge of HoD and the department was under his leadership for 12 years of academic success of the students. As an enthusiastic teacher he contributed not only to the departmental affairs but also to many co-curricular activities of the college like N.S.S., sports and cultural programmes as well.
After his superannuation Dr. Anjana Chaliha became the HoD. In 1994. She is the founder president of ĎAssam Philosophical Forumí. During her tenure the Department was raised up to P.G. level in 1996 which is the parent P.G. Department of Dibrugarh University outside its campus.
Under the bold leadership of Dr. Chaliha the Dept. formed the Studentsí Philosophical Forum(U.G. Level in 1990 and Post Graduate Level in 1997) and released a departmental Philosophical Journal in 1999,which was the first departmental journal of J.B.College.
As a best guide she is offering her valuable academic support to the department. She is a visiting teacher of our P.G.Section till this date.Since 2012 the department has been recognized as the Centre for Research by Dibrugarh University.