About The Department
The Department of Sanskrit, one of the oldest Department of Jagannath Barooah College was established in the year 1930. The main goals of this department are: (i) To impart education and train up students in different areas of Sanskrit. (ii) To make awareness of importance of Sanskrit learning among the students community and general people.
Personalities behind Establishment: (Amongst others) 1. Prof. Krishna Kanta Handique (1930-1948) M.A.in Sanskrit from Calcutta University, (With Gold Medal) M.A.in Modern History from Oxford University 2. Prof. Tulshi Narayan Sarma (1930-1952) M.A.in Sanskrit and Assamese
Prominent Alumni of this Department:
1. Dr. Mukunda Madhava Sharma. Dr. Sharma was an eminent Indologist and former Vice-chancellor of Dibrugarh University. He was the founder teacher of the Department of Sanskrit, Gauhati University. He was also a visiting Prof. of Bali University, Indonesia. He was founder occupant of the Vivekananda Chair for Vedic Studies in the department of Religious Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
2. Dr. Ashok Kumar Goswami, former HoD of Sanskrit, Gauhati University and a National Awardee.
3. Smt. Keshada Mahanta, Retd. Prof. of the Dept. of Sanskrit, J.B.College and Sahitya Academy Award Winner.
4. Dr. Malini Goswami, Prof. Dept. of Assamese, Gauhati University and an eminent literature.
5. Dr. Suresh Chandra Bora, former HoD of Sanskrit, Cotton College, Guwahati.
6. Dr. Sujata Purkayastha, former HoD of Sanskrit, Gauhati University and Best Graduate under Dibrugarh University.